Saxmundham Sports Club, Carlton Rd, Saxmundham IP17 1AT

The Firsts made the trip to Stonham Aspal today to find the pitch hadnt been cut for weeks and underneath the long grass the surface was very uneven. Needless to say not a lot of actual football was witnessed which played a part in a strange 90 minutes.

The start was pretty even as both sides tried to get used to the conditions. It very soon became a long ball match with half chances created at both ends. Then we took some control and created some good chances but could not find the final touch to open the scoring.

We were then caught with a sucker punch when Stebby was judged to have fouled in the area resulting in a penalty which was duly converted.

The remainder of the half played out with many misplaced passes and no rhythm to the play. Just before half time Connor was sin binned and we went in at half time 1-0 down.

We started the second half with 10 men and very soon found ourselves 2-0 down. Not long after we again gave possession away in our own half and were punished, so for the second week running we found ourselves 3-0 down. It could have been worse as a scramble finished with Stonham hitting the post and Isaac clearing off the line.

Suddenly we found some drive and energy, together with Stonham starting to tire. Out of nowhere Sharman (sponsored by C Page Motors) rifled in a shot from a narrow angle to reduce the deficit. Amazingly a few minutes later Stebby (sponsored by R&R Carpentry) managed to get his knee onto a cross which evaded the keeper to pull it back to 3-2.

The game then settled again and momentum seemed to be lost. Stonham broke through on goal and Kev made a fantastic save to keep us in the match. Sharman then ran onto a Hunter long ball and was clearly taken down by the last man. The ref decided it was no foul and then sent Mower off for dissent. So for the second week running we were down to 10 men whilst chasing a game.

With only a few minutes left Hunter took a speculative long shot which squirmed into the bottom corner and we were level 3-3.

In injury time the Stonham keeper allowed a low shot to slide under him and Kyle slid in ahead of the defender to poke the ball home, and the comeback was complete. Final score a 4-3 victory.

In summary it was a poor match on a difficult pitch. The players should of course take a lot of credit for turning the match around but they should also question themselves as to how they were 3-0 down in the first place against a pretty poor side.

However it was a great comeback to secure the 3 points which keeps us mid table.

Next week the Firsts are at home to Cockfield and the Reserves again have no match.